Read Green Light for Great Streets.
Between June 2017 and June 2018, NACTO explored structural challenges transportation agencies face when working to improve safety and livability on their streets. Through this project, NACTO uncovered patterns and opportunities that cities often use to get more done, faster.
In Phase I, NACTO conducted a comprehensive assessment of the responsibilities, capabilities, and resources of transportation departments across the U.S. During Phase II, NACTO incorporated findings from these assessments during in-depth “Agency Accelerator” work in San Jose and Pittsburgh, helping each city work through some of the structural challenges impacting their project delivery chain.
As a result of this project, NACTO found that there are clear markers of success within agencies that are most effective at delivering projects:
- Defined and clear processes for implementation, and well-informed staff
- Recurring or guaranteed funding sources
- Project pipelines built around standardized designs that allow cities to expedite work
- A strategic use of consultants to bolster efforts or train on unusual skills
- A clear vision, strong political will, and defined metrics for success
Read the report online. >
Read it as a pdf. >