Reduce traffic volume and speed to a minimum so that people can walk, bike, and run safely.
• Streets with low vehicle volume and low to moderate speeds, where vehicle volumes have dropped, or serve redundant through-traffic role during COVID disruptions.
• Install temporary traffic barriers and “Local Traffic Only”, Slow/Shared, or branded signs (e.g. “Stay Healthy Streets”) at main vehicle entry points.
• For neighborhoods, establish a grid of entry points into the local street network where barricades should be installed.
• Identify stewards to take care of and monitor barricades.
• Allow local access, deliveries, and emergency vehicles.
Timeline: One week.
Duration: Days to months.