Creating safe, sustainable, multi-modal transportation
The National Association of City Transportation Officials (NACTO) is a coalition of America’s largest cities – hubs of economic activity, home to the majority of Americans, and site of the nation’s greatest transportation challenges. These challenges range from the prosaic problem of maintaining roads, bridges and transit systems, to an increasing need to move growing city populations with safe, equitable, spatially efficient, environmentally sustainable transportation modes, to public demands for visionary leadership on city transportation.
The national transportation system forms the basis for our metropolitan economies, and we look to Congress and the Administration to work with cities in formulating a legislative and regulatory environment that truly supports growth and prosperity for all Americans.
Key priorities for city transportation in federal legislation and regulation:
- Promote Safe Transportation Systems
- Renew America’s roads, bridges, transit, and freight systems to support our competitive edge
- Bring project decisions closer to the taxpayer, at the local level
- Promote Energy Efficient and Environmentally Sustainable Transportation Systems
- Expand Financing Options for Transportation Projects
See actions to achieve these goals >